The City of Fridley's Energy Goals:
By 2020, we will reduce community energy use 5%
By 2030, we will reduce community energy use 20%
You can help us get there
The City of Fridley is participating in Xcel Energy’s Partners in Energy program to reduce the community’s energy use and help residents save money. The city and its energy team, comprised of residents, businesses and local institutions developed an Energy Action Plan that set energy goals for Fridley residents, businesses, and institutions. Click here to check out the City's full Energy Action Plan and read below to find out how you can help.
Energy Conservation at Home
A customized Home Energy Squad visit is the best way to get started saving energy and money at home. Fridley residents are eligible for an enhanced Home Energy Squad at a reduced price through the Fridley HRA. For only $50, a team of energy consultants will come to your home, evaluate your energy savings opportunities, and offer services such as ($600 value):
- On the spot installation of energy saving materials such as: door weather-stripping, a programmable thermostat, high-efficiency light bulbs, a water heater blanket, and high-efficiency showerhead and faucet aerators.
- Perform a blower door test to measure your home for air leaks.
- Complete an insulation inspection.
- Perform safety checks on your heating system and water heater.
- Provide you with a customized a report that serves as a road map for next steps you can take to make your home more energy efficient
Free Home Energy Squad visits are available to eligible qualifying residents. Home Energy Squad is provided in partnership between the City of Fridley Housing and Redevelopment Authority (HRA), CenterPoint Energy and Xcel Energy, and delivered by the Center for Energy and Environment (CEE), a Minnesota nonprofit.
Register online or call the Center for the Energy of Environment at 612-335-5874.
You can decrease your carbon footprint and support solar and wind energy production at home.
Check out the different options to subscribe to renewable energy through Xcel Energy. For as little as $5 a month, the average Fridley resident can source 100% of their energy through wind using Xcel Energy's Windsource program.
Interested in installing solar panels on your home? Xcel Energy provides you with a helpful checklist of what you'll need to do (see link below)! The University of Minnesota has a solar suitability analysis that can help determine if your home is in the right location. Your rooftop solar panels can be installed on any Fridley residence with the necessary building permits.
Funding Energy Conservation Projects
Many energy upgrades pay for themselves quickly through a reduction in your energy bill. The City of Fridley also offers a variety of low and no-interest loans to help cover the cost of larger projects so that you don't have to put off that new furnace or windows.
Many drivers are making the switch to electric vehicles. Here are some reasons why you should consider going electric:
- Public charging options are more readily available and growing.
- They're less expensive to fuel because electricity prices are cheaper than gas.
- Less greenhouse gas emissions, especially as the electric grid is made from more renewable soruces
- Reduced maintenance costs saves money on oil changes, tune-ups, and parts.
- Federal tax credits, local vehicle incentives, and a growing inventory of used vehicles help make EVs more affordable.
- They're smooth-shifting with powerful acceleration and a quiet motor
Charging your Electric Vehicle
Visit Xcel Energy’s electric vehicles resource page for simple steps to make sure you’re ready to charge your vehicle at home or on the go. Depending on the amount you drive, a standard wall plug may be sufficient. If you're looking for a faster charge, an electrician can help install a 240-volt outlet
You Can Charge With Clean Energy
You have the option to get some or all of your energy from renewable sources. Xcel Energy’s Windsource® gives you the option to pay a little extra every month to get as much wind energy as you want to fuel your vehicle. To get more info and complete the online application, visit Xcel Energy’s Windsource page.
Did you know there's an EV fast-charger in Fridley?
Check out this map to find a place to plug in.