Did you know...? CO is called the invisible killer because carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless and invisible gas.
Signs of CO poisoning include headache, nausea, fatigue, vomiting and disorientation.
Cooking and heating units that burn fuel and are not properly ventilated, or that malfunction,
can be a source of CO in the home.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Carbon monoxide alarms should be installed within 10 feet of each sleeping room or inside each sleeping room.
Test CO alarms monthly.
Follow the instructions on the package to properly install the CO alarm.
Clear snow and debris from the furnace, dryer, fireplace or oven vents around your home to prevent a CO buildup.
If the battery is low, replace it.
Place CO alarms according to the manual instructions.
IF THE ALARM SOUNDS
Know the sound the CO alarm makes.
The CO alarm will sound if CO is detected. It will make a different sound if the battery is low and needs replacing.
If a CO alarm sounds and you feel ill, make sure everyone in the home gets to fresh air and call 9-1-1 immediately.
PREVENT CO POISONING
When warming a vehicle, move it out of the garage. Do not run a fueled engine indoors.
During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove & fireplace are clear of snow build-up.
A gas-powered generator should only be used outdoors. Use in a well ventilated location away from windows, doors and vent openings.
Gas and charcoal grills can produce CO. Only use them outside.